Google Calendar Sync Issue

Recently, I started to use Google Calendar to share my schedule with my wife. To do this I’m using Google’s Outlook Calendar Sync utility. The first version that I used (0.9.3.0) worked fine but it didn’t get all of my appointments and it loaded my Deleted folder with thousands of blank appointments after each sync. A few weeks ago they released an update (0.9.3.2) that appeared to fix the blank appointment issue but I started to get this error:

Some of your Outlook appointments could not be loaded. Sync is interrupted in order to prevent actual data loss.

I ignored it for some time hoping for a quick patch from Google. But today I started to investigate while waiting for some software to uninstall. A quick trip to the Google Calendar Help forum proved to be quite useful. My first task was to find out to view the Outlook Calendar Sync Logs which can be viewed in the following locations:

WINDOWS XP
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Calendar Sync\logs
WINDOWS VISTA
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Google Calendar Sync\logs

The log had this information in it:

SEVERE: IDispatch::GetProperty : EntryID //  [hr: -2147352567] [exception One or more items in the folder you synchronized do not match. To resolve the conflicts, open the items, and then try this operation again. wCode: 4096 scode: -2147352567]
SEVERE: Failed to load even brief info.
Unable to load basic info
SEVERE: Unable to get events from Outlook

So, there was some sort of issue that the sync tool was having when trying to retrieve the calendar events. The resolution came when I came across this post in the forum. It details the following steps to resolve an Outlook conflict.

  1. Open your calendar in Microsoft Outlook.
  2. Select “View by Category.” (Main Menu > View > Arrange By > Current
    View > By Category)
  3. You’ll see a list of events (if the events are collapsed in categories, you can expand them by clicking the “+” sign”). Using the icons to the left of each event, find events that have a “warning” icon (i.e. crossing swords).
  4. Double-click on each problematic event to resolve the problem

 

Sure enough, I found seven conflicts with appointments dating all the way back to 2003. They must of been hanging around for the past five years and I didn’t know it. I cleared the conflicts and reran the Google Outlook Sync and it worked.